Church of St Peter and St Paul, Chaldon


Loading...

Chaldon Church was originally of Saxon foundation but little is known of the early church which dated from the late 7th century. The present building is mostly of the late 12th and early 13th centuries, with the south porch added in the 16th, and tower in the 19th. Its most famous feature is the wall painting on the west wall which dates to about 1200. It depicts a purgatorial ladder painted in yellow ochre, red and white. The upper half depicts the judgement and salvation of souls, while the lower half shows the torments and punishments of sinners.

This panorama can be viewed in Full Screen Mode - click the full screen button on the toolbar. Click the button again or press Esc to quit.

Back to Panoramas