Watts Chapel

This content requires HTML5/CSS3, WebGL, or Adobe Flash Player Version 9 or higher.

Designed by Mary Watts and built by her and the villagers of Compton between 1895 and 1904. The walls are decorated with angels who alternately face towards and away from the viewer. Beneath them are roundels depicting contrasting themes of growth and decay, labour and rest, or the real and ideal. Above them are four seraphs, the highest of the angels. The winged children’s heads represent human souls.

This panorama can be viewed in Full Screen Mode - click the full screen button on the toolbar. Click the button again or press Esc to quit.

Back to Panoramas