St Olaf’s Church, Poughill
The church at Poughill (pronounced ‘poffil’) is dedicated to the Norwegian king and martyr, St Olaf. It dates largely to the 14th and 15th centuries. The waggon vaulted roof has some finely carved bosses, including three with women’s faces behind the organ. The bench ends are early 16th century and have some particularly fine carving. There are two large murals on the south and north walls, both depicting St Christopher. Dating to about 1470, they were discovered under whitewash in 1894, but unfortunately were entirely repainted. The royal coat of arms was originally of Charles II, but was modified several times to the arms of the Hanoverian kings.
This panorama can be viewed in Full Screen Mode - click the button on the toolbar. Click the button again or press Esc to quit.