St Ildierna’s Church, Lansallos

This content requires HTML5/CSS3, WebGL, or Adobe Flash Player Version 9 or higher.

The present church replaced an earlier Norman one in 1321. There was more rebuilding in the 15th century when the south aisle, tower and porch were added. The benches date from 1490-1520 and the ends are particularly fine.

The church has had an unlucky history, with the tower being struck by lightning in 1923 and by shrapnel during the Second World War. The organ was destroyed by fire in 1949 and the toer was struck by lightning for a second time in 1975. The roof was damaged during the 1990 hurricane. But the worst misfortune happened in 2005 when the church was attacked by arsonists and suffered extensive damage. Some of the charred oak beams can still be seen in wagon roof in the nave.

This panorama can be viewed in Full Screen Mode - click the full screen button on the toolbar. Click the button again or press Esc to quit.

Back to Cornish Churches
Back to Cornwall
Back to Panoramas